Hee. I know I promised earlier in the day to post about "Fight Club" and all but I have just finished reading the book that my friend lent me yesterday and my reaction was "Oh man..thats just so heart warming". Let me elaborate shall I? Well, lets see. The book is titled "The teenage textbook" but it is actually a compilation of the teenage textbook (a guide to help teenagers sort out their love life) and the melting of the ice-cream girl ( a story of 4 people and their lives). Well, The ice-cream girl in this case is called Lee Mui Ee. Sweet on the inside but cold on the outside (sort of like shyness type of cold..not nasty kind of cold). Then we have the usual "chio bu" and hot babe Sissy Song. And the 2 guys..Rich, affluent, flashy, captain of the rugby team, head prefect and he lisping Loo Kok Sean, is the cassanova wanna be in the story. By the way when the book says lisps, it means the way he speaks. For example: thethe guyth thycle in the thentre of the road without firtht if there'th any traffic (Translation: these guys cycle on the road without first seeing if there is any traffic). And lastly, we have our average guy...average height, average looks, average built basically our super dooper Mr Average, Yeo Chung Kai. He does have one additional quality in the book though..character wise, he is a nice guy. Mui Ee and Sissy are best friends in the ladies corner while rich Kok Sean and Mr Average are best friends in the males department.
Ok, the story proceeds like this. Kok Sean is into this girl Sissy and our Mr Average is into Mui Ee. Mui Ee however is attracted to this eurasian guy called Thomas. Technically, to cut a loonng story short, Mui Ee got cheated by Thomas because he is 2-timing her (oh dear). On the other hand, Kok Sean is not having a better time with our Sissy because he is erm...how do I put it..way too direct with her. Firstly, he tries to act cool in front of her. He then tries to show off in front of her. And he tries to play it cool over the phone with his erm "macho" voice. [personal comment: Kok Sean give me your guts PLEASEEEEEE!!!!] Anyway, Kok Sean actually managed to save Sissy from colliding with a motorcycle and that won him a chance to date her for Valentines Day...with some strings attatched of course. That she brought Mui Ee along with her and that Kok Sean bring along a guy with him. Obviously, our Kok Sean protested but relented and he chose to bring Chung Kai along. The part I don't like about Kok Sean is that even though he is struggling with Sissy, he made it sound to Chung Kai as if he is winning her heart easily. Besides that, he told Chung Kai that he insisted in Sissy bringing Mui Ee so that he could bring Chung Kai along (what an ass). Anyway, the next part of the story was when the 4 went on their date. Of course, our Chung Kai and Mui Ee had to sit in a different table at the restaurant so that our dear Kok Sean and Sissy can supposedly be alone. Thing was, to cut a long story short again, despite his relative shyness, our Mr Average did alot better with Mui Ee even though she was heart-broken and all (rated 10 for heart warmness!!!!). Of course, Kok Sean screwed up with Sissy (3 cheers for Sissy!!). Erm...the insecurities felt by both parties (Chung Kai and Mui Ee) was partiularly well documented though and finally, Mr Average managed to get the ice-cream girl (Hurray!!!). You may be curious as to why I am rushing, well, I have tuition in about 10 minutes and I want to write this A.S.A.P when I still have my train of thoughts.
Some memorable quotes in the book:
"She could see, as she told the tale, that Chung Kai was hurt by the fact that she and Tom had been so....close. She felt a tiny pang of regret inside her. Poor guy, she thought. I think he really does like me. Or at least he did like me. But does he like me now, after what I have told him?" - Mui Ee
"Well, goodbye to you Mr Yeo Chung Kai, thought Mui Ee to herself. I guess we'll never go out again. I don't even think we will ever talk to each other again. Its a pity I suppose, because if nothing else, Chung Kai and I have so much in common. And I think he sort of really liked me." - Mui Ee
"No, serious. I think youre a really nice guy. And I trust the taste of nice people. So it's nice to be liked by nice people like you." - Mui Ee
Well, on a personal level, my friend promised that it would be a very humourous book. Well, she is right of course.......during the 1st 5 pages. But when they started describing how Mui Ee was a loner at parties and all, and about how Chung Kai felt so insecure about himself, it wasn't really all that funny anymore when I realised that I am reading about something a little similar to myself. But of course, books will always have happy endings otherwise which teenager will buy them? Unfortunately, life doesn't always turn out the same way as books.
Saturday, May 03, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment