Thursday, September 04, 2003

Watched Science Frontiers on Discovery Channal the other day. As usual, my sister automatically went into her room because Science Frontiers as the title suggests usually talks about new technologies and breakthroughs in science. But that day's program explored something that captivated me right from the start. It was about deep space exploration. (I can already sense many eyes rolling). Many times over, I have comtemplated about the various occupations that I would like to pick when I go into the working world, and many times over, I have always tried to see which of my various (various as in LITTLE) interests suits the various (ALOT) occupations in the world. And many times over, I came back to one occupation. The study of deep space (not astronomy). Anyway, back to the program. The program explored various stuff such as gravity, the birth of planets, the eventual death of planets and the formation of galaxies. The most interesting segment was the part about trying to figure out what was in the centre of the galaxy. It is still unknown but popularly believed to be a super massive blackhole. This theory came about after various scientists in Hawaii observed several stars near the centre of our galaxy that are millions of times larger than our sun travelling at 1% the speed of light which theoratically was very unlikely unless influenced by some rather super large mass. Anyway, tthe way the program concluded was very interesting. It explored the basic concept of gravity. In layman's terms, two bodies exerting a pulling force on each other. This force itself, is currently "pulling" a nearby solar system on a collision course with our solar system. This will likely happen in about 2-3 billion years time (our sun will go supernova in 5). But the most spectacular collison ever which will most probably render our planet inhabitable will likely come when our galaxy (The Milky Way) collides with another galaxy (Andromeda) in about 6-7 billion years time. Whoa. I have tried to find more information about this but sadly, I was unable to find it. The only information I was able to gather was Andromeda was travelling towards the Milky Way at 30000 miles per hour. Sighz. Isn't deep space interesting?? And to see how we are nothing compared to the magnitude of the universe. To see how the human life is so fragile compared to the extremes of our galaxy. Haha. Oh well...at last I know many people can't be bothered and I'll never be able to study the stars in Singapore.

And before I go off, this very interesting song by Lillix titled "its about you" should also be a very interesting if not a nice song to listen to. The theme is simple. Feeling messed up? Well, your not alone.

I't's about life,
I'ts about fun
I hate you, I love you
I just can't remember to forget you
Who are you, who needs you?
You make me feel alive, I die, so high
I'm crawling on the ground
And I've found I can fly

One of these days it all comes together
One of those days that goes on forever
Think I sound crazy? Maybe, whatever
What's it all about?

[Chorus:]
It's about life, it's about fun
It's over before it has begun
It's about you, it's about me
It's about everything between and I say
I'm saying goodbye to you, I say hi to you with no clue
It's about time that I
Make up my mind

It's simple, confusing, the truth is I'm winning but I'm losing
And pulling and pushing, won't do me any good
It could, it should
I'm honest to myself that the truth is I lied

One of these days it all comes together
One of those days that goes on forever
Think I sound crazy? Maybe, whatever
What's it all about?

[Chorus:]
It's about life, it's about fun
It's over before it has begun
I't's about you, it'sabout me
It's about everything inbetween and I say
I'm saying goodbye to you, I say hi to you with no clue
It's about time I
Make up my mind

Time is creeping behind me, surrounding around me
Fading the words so desperately
Now give me a reason that I can believe in
Time is something you can't rewind
One of these days it all comes together
One of those days that goes on forever
Think I sound crazy? Maybe, whatever
What's it all about?

[Chorus:]
It's about life, it's about fun
It's over before it has begun
I't's about you, it'sabout me
It's about everything inbetween and I say
I'm saying goodbye to you, I say hi to you with no clue
It's about time I
Make up my mind




No comments: