Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Sighz. 2 weeks ago I told myself that I will refrain from writing about that match between Arsenal and Manchester United. It doesn't help that I am an Arsenal supporter who thinks Alex Ferguson is an idiot. It also certainly doesn't help when The New Paper is extremely biased in their columns when they incensed Arsene Wenger for not condemning his players for their actions on THAT fateful day and instead praised Manchester United players for their conduct and disipline. And I bet it certainly doesn't help when 2 weeks later (today) they are still writing about the incidents that day and how the FA should deal with Arsenal and their players and how Arsene Wenger has during his reign as manager managed to collect a record number of yellow and red cards. And so, like it or not, I will give my 2 cents worth on my views even though I didn't watch the match.

In defense of Arsenal:
While the Arsenal players (Ashley Cole, Lauren, Keown..etc) were wrong to confront Van Nistleroy after Viera got sent off and again taunt him when he missed the penalty (thank heavens) in the 92nd minute, I feel that their actions were pretty justified given the circumstances that day. For the record, Arsenal had just been trashed by Inter Milan 3-0 in the Champions League Group Stage. And further back, Arsene Wenger has been unable to strengthen his squad due to the financial situation. In fact, Arsene Wenger has been forced to loan out several squad players to other clubs to save money for the club. And along with this are the list of injuries to Arsenal's key players namely Freddie Ljungberg, Robert Pires and Patrick Vieria. And to top the list, Arsenal is faced with a defensive problem due to the retirement of Tony Adams (they are unable to find a replacement due to financial constraints) and the recent dip in form from 2 of Arsenal's key defenders Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole. In short, you are staring at a Temasek JC badminton team who are under pressure to at least maintain their second placing but are missing out on their key doubles player (Jackson) due to injury, the graduation of their key singles player (Shian Pin), and are facing a lack of funds for coaches and shuttlecocks due to a cut in the budget. Given the pressure that Arsenal players face from their fans and the Arsenal board, the only way a depleted Arsenal side could hope for in an away match against their fiercest rivals was if every single player was fired up and ready to kill if need be to defend their goal. Which was apparently what they did. Of course, all that adrenaline had to go somewhere...and where better than on to the Manchester United players. And again, we have to bear in mind that soccer is a seriously rough game with tackles flying in fast and furious, challenges made without second thoughts and of lots of body contact especially when tussling over one ball in a crowded penalty area. Frustration, adrenaline and passion mixed together will definitely stir emotions that have the potential to override logical reasoning (the case for Patrick Vieria and his famous Bruce Lee wanabe kick at Nistlerooy). And I believe that I can understand their emotions on the pitch as I have experienced emotions like that when i was playing badminton. Back in Primary School, I could vividly remember that I was this small little boy with a temper bigger than my size. ANd back then, whenever I was losing, i would scream my head off and yell at myself and...I shan't elaborate on bad memories. But since then, I have promised myself that whenever I play a match, I would be calm and collected even if I was playing the worst game in my life. But that promise was seriously contested back in Secondary 3. It was a high tension match between Anglican High School 'B' Boys and Raffles Institution. For years, Raffles Institution and Anglican High School have, by default, always met in the 2nd round of the nation schools competitions. And again, year after year, Anglican High School was always promptly defeated at their hands. I wasn't sure why, but that year, we had one of the strongest squads in the history of Anglican and we were full of adrenaline (possbly like those Arsenal players) because we knew that we had a chance to beat Raffles Institution. Yeap. It was also on this day that I remember I started cheering for my own team (I was usually always outside buying soft drinks). And I could also remember for the first time, I felt hatred creeping into me. Sort of a feeling of detestment against Raffles Instituition. And during my match, the promise I made not to shout in court was serious contested again because I felt so fired up (for the first time). Imagine. In badminton you have your own little area for 15 points with the only provokation seperated from you by a net. In soccer, the provokation could come from anywhere. And reinstate my point, in an intense game, emotions will override logical reasoning and thats why I defend the Arsenal players=) But then again, I would possibly also have to applaude Roy Keane for holding Patrick Vieria back. Otherwise, I would have bet that Arsenal would have one less player for the season and Nistlerooy would likely have retired 2 weeks ago due to irrepairable damage to his body=)

PS: For the record again, my respect for Shian Pin grew immensely that day. He showed me what a GREAT captain is supposed to be like and lead the Anglican High team against Raffles Instituition. Aginst some really impossible odds (he met Edwin Poh whom he won in 3 sets. Edwin poh was a god back then), he won the first singles and inspired the first doubles to victory. It was the first AND the last time I have seen people play a 150% better than they did on a good day. I was truely touched to tears that day for what they managed to accomplish=) Unfortunately, I lost to Jingru but Anglican High scored their first victory in years against RI that day=) Again, it was all thanks to.....Shian Pin

No comments: