Sunday, August 31, 2003
Oh dear oh dear. I promised myself I won't give away my blog address anymore but I just gave it away to someone. Haha. But I guess its ok. Nothing much to read here nowadays. Too lazy to blog and when I do feel like blogging, I always forget what I wanted to write. Anyways, its almost 3 am in the morning and I can hardly keep my eyelids open. But what made me came here to write something was the rather interesting article that I read about just now. It was possibly the first ever "thinking" program created. The program was simple. It gave computer programs the ability to think. In this program that was designed, the program starts off with a stickman who doesn't know how to walk across the screen. The programmer then inputs about 200 different leg "movements" and left it all up to the program to figure out how to get across the screen. Initially, the program doesn't even get a first step. The stickman just tumbles and falls over. Then the process was repeated with a few substitutions of leg "movements". Eventually, the stickman after numerous attempts always managed to get across the screen. But some of the ways they got across the screen were rather unusual. The scientists who did the program discovered the stickman could hop acorss the screen, sumersault across the screen, squatted or just plain walked acorss the screen. With so many varieties of movements, the scientists then decided to add in basic rules such as the legs must always stay on the ground. And finally, the results was a normal walking stickman that perfectly mimicks the human walking pattern. I thought that it was a rather interesting article. Imagine the uses of such a program. Computer programs may be able to generate other computer programs. Computer programs might one day be able to design factories, machines, and even weapons with just a few basic inputs such as metal, nuts and bolts..etc. And of course it is also interesting to compare the way the program works to the way evolution works. Of course, I was initially pretty afraid of the potential devastating effect this program could have if it was developed much further. Futuristic stuff such as Artificial Intelligence may actually not be just a dream any more. But oh well, at least this invention is something different from all the bio-tech news that I hear about everyday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment