Friday, August 01, 2003

Pretty interesting things have been happening to me over the course of the past 2 days. But the nicest thing was what I found in Auguest's issue of Readers Digest. 2 articles that in a way answered some of the questions that have been bugging me for some time now. But, I'll get to that eventually....

A brief recap of a person's day (especially mine) can really bore the hell out of anyone. But I would still have to do it because, I want it etched here so that I can always look back at it and remember. Well, Thursday was one of the shittiest days of my week. Not only was I the only one left in class still taking chinese (I failed it), I would have to endure through 2 solid nerve wrecking periods of it in the HOD of Chinese's room. The only reprive came from the fact that my new teacher (the HOD of course) is a super duper nice lady. After the initial awkardness (she is the HOD), the ice melted very fast indeed. Haha. Plus the other unlucky guy who also had to take chinese with me happened to be friendly enough that we could manage small talk. Anyway, chinese period consisted of chinese story telling..with a twist. The HOD was telling the stiry and we were supposed to listen. Not bad eh? Haha. But the thing was I found the story very interresting and I'll translate it here abeit a much simplified version. Sim: Don't play play siya. My chinese can make it ok! Haha

"Make Up Society (Direct translation)"

They were laughing, pushing each other around as they entered the hall and all the males eyes were suddenly fixed on them.
He appeared out of nowhere and asked her to dance with him (it was a costume party). She recognised him. He shared the same tutorial classes with her twice a week. She also knew all the times and places where he would be in between his classes. But, he has never ever stole a glance at her before.
Her happiness echoed that of a child's and took over her ordinary features. (Basically, in chinese, she is plain looking. Your normal average girl)
He was dressed as a noble man. (ALOT of description here about his costume). While the costume she wore really made her a very attractive person indeed. Her ordinary figure was transformed by the dress to make her appear somewhat more sexy while her features were enhanced by makeup and a pair of beautiful earrings. In short, he was mesmerised by her.
"You are outstanding tonight. Who are you anyway?" he asked "You are definitely not from my law faculty."
She said nothing but continued to dance anyway. "I really like your make up. You look lovely in it. Did you put it on yourself?"
He was by her side thoughtout the entire course of the party even though he was one of the most sought after guys in the party. He didn't let any other girl attempt to "steal" him away from her. The conversation her had with her told her alot about him. He was a materialistic person who strongly believes that the higher up the social ladder you are in terms of looks, abilities, capabilities and status, the better the treatment you'll receive. He thinks that the girl for him must be good looking and intelligent at the same time as he also believes that love can be "bought" if you are of a certain status and the higher you get, the better the girls you can "buy".
She wasn't a dumb person and she knew that if he ever knew who she was, he'll never ever see her again. But she kept mute about her identity as she wanted the night to last. Finally, the evening came to an end and he offered to send her home. But she said that she would have to change first. He agreed to wait outside for her and proclaimed that he'll still recognise her even without her makeup.
After taking off her makeup and chaning into a different dress, she walked out, and walked right past him. He didn't even bat an eyebrow. Just moments later, she could hear footsteps behind her as he chased after her. She turned around and her asked her "is there anyone else inside?"
"They are all gone". He froze. He recognised the voice but couldn't believe his eyes. He didn't know what to say. How to react. The realisation dawned onto him that the girls whom he was mesmerised with earlier isn't pretty at all.
People say appearance is only an image and is unimportant. But the truth is, people will never accept or like an ugly person.
The End

Of course, it was extremely difficult to translate accurately the true essence that the story would bring out had it been copied and pasted directly in chinese. But the underlying meaning the teacher wanted us to know was this. Many people claims that beauty is not important. Character is. But the ugly truth is..even if an unattractive person has a very nice character, we'll still not like him/her. That was the harsh truth that she wanted to point out us. Don't be naive. Of course, she had to ask us what kind of girl would we go for. Haha. Yes, the teacher was interesting just like that. The other guy was frank. Very frank. He said that he would go for must be attractive and intelligent. He should know. He said that he had previous girlfriends in the past. But hey..lets all applaude his courage=) When it was my turn, I tried to be as frank as I could. I said "Wo Bu Zhi Dao (I don't know)" much to the amusement of my chinese teacher. And I had to explain why I said that. Silly me. SHould have juzt said "same as him". The concequences of acting smart. Anyway, I said "I may say I want a so and so girl. But when you like a person, the person may be very different from the so and so you had in mind. Point is I have never had a girlfriend before so I don't know." Haha. The best part was I said it in english because my chinese isn't up to scratch. And thus she proceeded to tell us another story about how our face somehow reflected the personality we have. Tongue in cheek, she mentioned that in newspaper articles about murder, the murder's picture almost always potrayed a guy with mean face and an angry look. Haha. And thus, I really wonder what she has to say about my stupid bo-chap look. Haha. But my day doesn't end after my chinese lesson. My Mathematics teacher wanted to see me for god knows what reason and I had to stay back till 5 30. Hmm. Guess I'll continue after my tution which is in exactly 5 minutes.

No comments: