Monday, June 23, 2003

I really know I shouldn't be blogging at 4 am in the morning. Especially about something thought provocative and especially because I promised not to write any more stupid stuff on philosophy. But I can't help it. After watching the Matrix Reloaded so many times today, I really do have alor of opinions that I wish to write down lest I forget about them. Its interesting how many perspectives fate can be viewed from. And from most of the perspectives, all the reasonings do sound logical. Its possibly under the same category as Religon. You either believe in it or you don't. And yet even if you do, you cannot really say for certain that there really is a god or there really is fate and destiny. Its all part of believeing something that you cannot prove theoratically. Hmm. Sidenote: I did read an article from Readers Digest quoting recent scientific discoveries which suggest that humans were engineered biologically to believe in religion. The studies suggested that there was even a part of own brain that handles everything regarding religion. Of course, my most obvious question was why in the world would a human brain contain a section dedicated to religion. Since we humans evolved from bacteria into what we are today, it would seem that in some point along our evolution, we were influenced in some way to believe in religion. Its just a thought but its so interesting to me. Anyway. back to where I left off. Some people who don't believe in fate may argue that whatever outcome happens in life happens because of the choices that they made earlier on. The results were the cummulative product of their earlier choices. For example. If I didn;t study for a test, I'll fail. pure and simple. If I work hard, I'll see the fruits of my labour. They also believe that their life is like a blank slate. Everything that happens, happens because of the choices they made there and then. Of course, you also have half believers in fate like me who belives that fate dictates only a small part of your life. I have explained it earlier in my blog and have also elaborated on what I believe. And we have the people who totally believes in fate. I'll quote specific examples from The Matrix Reloaded to substantiate my point. People who believe in fate totally belive that they are not exactly living their life. They are living a script written for them. In the Matrix, The Oracle offers Neo a candy. Neo said "but you already know what I am going to do. So what choice do I have?" The Oracle replied "the choice has already been made. You are just here to understand why you made the choice." Basically, it means that all the choices that we have in life are illusions. As Merovingian puts in "choice is an illusion created to seperate those with power and those without." I still don;t know what that means. But taking the statement at face value, which is there is no choice at all, we can see that its not the choices you have in life. The choices that you have are merely illusions as you have already chosen which path to go long before you know about the path. Its like you are following a script of life. Fate to be exact. WHatever you do or whatever happens to you, you have no control over it. You can ask yourself a million times what if I have chosen otherwise but there is no what if. There is no way you can chose the other path because you are following fate. I'm not sure about you, but both perspectives of fate sounds logical to me. Haha. Perhapes that is why I choose to take a somewhat middle path. A path that explains how random events occure in my life and how I am in control of my life in certain ways at the same time. The important thing for me is to feel in control of my life. Otherwise, if I don;t believe I'm in control, then I might just be like a dead log floating in the ocean. Just following, following. Never being able to steer away and take the a course of my own. Ahh. Anyway. Its mainly crap. I just had to clear this thought out of my system=)

No comments: