Well, to reflect on my JC life, we'll have to go right back to where it all began (in school?) and then right where it all ended (in Ritz Charlton). First off, I would like to state that my seniors are liars. They told me "come to TJ! Very slack one! Then can play somemore". Secondly, many people have been giving the rather pointless advice (I admit, I'm one of those) which is "go to the JC that you like. Don't be influenced by your friends". Well, fact is, many people go to the JC that they ARE in because of their friends and like me, believed my seniors who told me JC life was as easy as secondary school life (thanks alot guys. you make me sweat bullets k?). Well, besides work, work, and more work (stupid dumb tutorials), JC does have its fun times to. Well, for starters, my fun started during Orientation 2002. Thanks to a particular Jefferson (whose just so wonderful you wish you were 75% of him) who also happens to be my senior's classmate, Orientation was FUN! He made me feel at ease ALMOST immediately and after the very slight initial awkardness, I was screaming cheers at the top of my lungs. Fun continued during badminton training too (Think Ripley's Believe it or not on channal 19 AXN but only for 1st 3 months). But fun ended soon after first 3 months (sadly..."dreams are for rookies" - Phil from Disney's Hercules). Appealing into the college just seems to bring on those blues. The blues you get when you get back your June Common Test Results and seeing FFFOOO for the first time in your life. The blues you get when cramming for the Promos and barely making it. The blues when Sexy Boon disbands the badminton team. The blues when you suffer through training while forcing fake enthusiam. The blues when you lost the badminton finals due to some superb lineup (actually it wasn't the line up...lol), the blues of having 2 tuition just to boost my grades up, the blues of studying for the A Levels and finally, the blues when you finally realise that your going to miss the friends you made on the way through hell.
My mother once told me this. "treasure your secondary school days for you will grow closest to them then." She was right in a way. My secondary school friends are still my closest friends (we grew into and out of puberty together!). A little something about myself here. I really hate making new friends. Especially "hi-bye" friends or acquaintances if you would prefer. Thats because, making friends is never easy. Its like planting rice. For every new seed you sow, you have to water them, tend to them....etc. Even my father once told me "in life, we don't need many friends. A few best friends whom you can trust your life to is enough". And like planting rice, I hate to lose friends that I make. Would you like to see the seed which you have witnessed grown into a plant just wither away and die? But in TJC, I did make new friends. Friends that I know I'll hate to lose. Friendship that I know will be difficult to maintain when i enter NS (national service). And my cousin told me "2 years of not seeing one another, only the friendship between you and your closer friends will survive." Its surprisingly painful when he spoke the truth but yet, one part of me just screams for my ignorance. But reality bites hard. Which is why I am absorbed in this moment trying my best to express my feelings in words (be it my own or quoted from others). It was in JC that I have opened up a little. True, I am still about 88.8% shy, 10% stupid and 1.2% just plain lame. But it was certainly an improvement from 95% shy back in secondary school. And it was also in JC that I actually got to know a person through IRC/ICQ (well, 3 people actually).
And moving on to grad night. My father told me. "All the girls will go in with an open heart and if you like anyone of them, can you for F***-sake be a man and just send her home?" Thats my dad. The ever braveheart whose still pissed off with this St Gabriel's guy for stealing his "girl" away. My cousin told me "If you want to remember any of your female friends, this would be a good time to take photos. Becoz, the chances of you ever seeing them again after your two and a half years of hell are as slim as you beating me at bowling." Sound advice. And finally, from my A-ZONE notebook of love (written back in march 2003 based strongly on the techniques by some love guru) "step 1: Be brave". I never questioned the first 2 advice. Neither did I really question the third since it was "universally" known that I have to be brave. And with this 3 advice in mind, I went to Ritz Charlton looking like a fool wearing my father's PSA tie, my long pants, Bata shoes and grey shirt. For extra added effect, my father, seeing how horrid his son looked, combed a center putting for me (thats the first time I had it) and made me shave (all desperation tactics that still sort of failed). The first thing I noticed when I stepped inside was how well dressed the guys were and especially how different girls look with makeup (most for better a handful for worse. Mom. My next birthday present would be...makeup!! LoL). Yes. It was certainly a night to remember. Especially since my darling sister took my mother's camera and gave me a $16 disposable Kodak camera that really looked "posh" compared to digital cameras (yes! I was afraid to take photos!). The thing about graduation night is, it becomes predictable after last year's prom. It starts out with everyone commenting on how nice everyone else looks, taking photographs and being entertained by a surprisingly "naughty" MC (i taught him those buaya skills k??) while having some really horrid dinner (6 star hotels never serve 6 star meals coz they think we won't know the difference but they issue 7 star receipts). And like every graduation night, you'll only remember moments that were absolutely unpredictable and in a way, surprising. And I'll probably remember this moment pretty well I guess. See, I did intended to ask this girl to take a picture with me...but even after 6 glasses of coke (caffine is supposed to be miracle drug right?), an entire evening of laughs, horrid food and photos with guys, I had absolutely no idea how I was going to ask her to take a picture with me. And there I was, suddenly staring at the floor as if it was shiny enough for my reflection when I did actually see her around. Haha. Actually, yes. I am hopeless. I haven't even said hi to her in person yet even though i actually know who she is. LoL. And then, when the night was over and Jackson was crowned Mr College (he is a god. A god's GOD!!), Christina actually called me to take a picture with her! But I seriously didn't expect her to ask me to take a picture togetehr with her and Amanda! Haha. Anyway, Christina, if you are reading this, THANK YOU!! And by the way, no I wasn't pissed! I just look even more horrid if I tried to smile! So I just keep a straight face when posing for photographs!! Haha.
And I broke my promise again about making this a short one. Sighz. I know this has little originality but I couldn't help it. Even after all your testimonials on friendster and whatever (which you may or may not believe even though whatever I wrote was what I felt), I'm going to write a few last words to all the friends I have made in TJC. Even though it saddens me that we may actually lose contact, and our friendship may be put to the test, thank you all for being there for me in TJC. And please, don't lie to your juniors about the school! Haha.
In order of whoever comes to my mind first.
Wayne aka Rambo Tan aka Action Boy (where did that come from I wonder) : You know, since I got to know you, my respect for you has just kept growing. No offense but you really are one of the few people I know who dares to live your life the way you want it. You form your own opinions, oblivious to the "politically correct opinions". You dare to talk back and argue with teachers. You dare to hold intelligent conversations regarding politics. You dare to be alone if need be just being the way you are. And most of all, you showed me that nobody owes me a living. If I want something, I'll have to get it myself.
Heng Fook Chee aka Liar!!!: You said you were stupid. You said you would fail. You said you would repeat. You said you would die. You said you would retain. You said you are so screwed. But you, lied. This is no dooubt about it. You passed econs with playing colours, aced GP, breezed through mathematics. Basicaly, you are this brilliant kid. Unfortunately, you tend to undermine yourself. Perhapes its because you are scared to brag and face the embarrassment when you didn't live up to expectation. But no matter, because underneath it all, you are just trying your best to be the nicest person you can become. It did take me a while to see that but I'm glad I did see it in the end. Thanks for everything Fook.
Qihui from 29/02: My first conversation with you occured 2 months after you officially became my classmate. It did take me long to warm up to you. It wasn't your fault. It was just me. Initially, you intrigued me. You came across as this absolute genius who just survives by studying. You even had the hair to prove it. But later, as I came to know you better, you are in fact quite a carefree person whose just plain lazy at times. But on the bright side, your laziness has often been the butt of jokes which has brightened up my day many times in TJ. Thanks man=)
Qihui from 29/03: Really didn't really expect to be rather close friends with you. For one, I already know most of the people in the badminton team and given the amount of unease and disregard for trainings, I wasn't really interested in making new friends. Then one day, you just added everyone on the badminton list to your MSN contacts. Needless to say, I was one of then. What turned out to be a casual "get to know you better" chat turned out better than expected I guess. You are seriously a nice person whose well....a little slack but nothing TJC can't handle =) Even though you are worried because you are promoted conditionally, I have no doubt that you can make it. Heck if I can, I don't see why can't anybody. All the best for next year!! Don't let me down!
Sim Chong Siang: Haha. Technically, I didn't intend to write about you here since you were already a close friend long before I came into TJC. But I couldn't leave you out either since you have been classmates with me for 6 longs years. I have no idea how many times I have said this but you have been a wonderful friend. Serious. You have been together with me when we "chiong" neopets and even chided me because I wasn't as street smart and kept making bad trades. In a way, you have made me see how the world is not all a bed of roses and even if it is, even roses have thorns. And even after all my flaws as a friend, I'm still glad that at the end of the day, I'm still your friend. Thanks brother and have fun in the police force upholding justice with your Smith and Wesson while I uphold peace with my SAR 21!
Christina aka Sadako: I seriously seriously never expected to have met you. Honest. It started with some Lonely Hearts Club that you were talking about on IRC that led to a private chat that eventually led me to know you in person! And seriously, I haven't regretted knowing you. You are this fun person who always happens to be so active! I'm just simply full of admiration for your energy! Besides, you are also this super friendly person who just sort of makes me feel at ease talking to. Serious!! Even though you have chosen to retain for one year, I have no doubt that you'll do MUCH better next year. Go for it Christina! Get straight As and do all of us proud=)
Amanda: Erm..how do I begin? Well, actually to tell you the truth I did ask my friend to help me get your ICQ so I could know you better. Haha. Well, hope you don't actually mind. Hmm. But seriously, in the erm..1 year that I have "met" you through ICQ, you have come across to me as a very sweet person=) But I still have no idea why I still feel kinda shy whenever I see you haha. Anyways, its really been nice knowing you even though I never really did talk to you in person before and hmm probably never will ba =( But still, if fate does allow, I promise if I see you in future, I'll be sure to smile and say Hi. =) All the best in whatever you plan except of course, being that road sweeper (thank goodness it was a joke).
And its here that I'll traditionally dedicate a song to everyone. Even though its been played before, its lyrics holds meaning that are potray my feelings right now. Its Green Day with "Time Of Your Life"
Green Day - Time of you Life
Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road.
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go.
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why.
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time.
It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right.
I hope you had the time of your life.
So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind.
Hang it on a shelf of good health and good time.
Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial.
For what it's worth, it was worth all the while.
It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.
It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.
It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go.
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why.
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time.
It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right.
I hope you had the time of your life.
So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind.
Hang it on a shelf of good health and good time.
Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial.
For what it's worth, it was worth all the while.
It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.
It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.
It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.
PS: Thank you to everyone I mentioned above for making my JC life memorable. And I sincerely hope that I have made your memorable as well even in a small way. And finally, I hope that you did have the time of your life!! Good luck to you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment