Today was DEFINITELY a better day than yesterday. Firstly, halfway through Mona Lisa Smile, the friend who was angry with me, SMSed me to ask me to watch soccer at his house. In case you didn't know, in male terms (a.k.a my terms), it means that he has forgiven me. Hooray! And it was just as well. I really felt really really bad about saying those things about him yesterday. SIghz. I guess people say stupid things when they are angry. Anger is one of the emotion that really clouds logical thinking unless of course logical thinking to you is the thinking when you are angry (in which case, you better seek professional help). Anyways, for good measure, I SMSed him back and apologised about yesterday to which he said (quoted) "nevermind la. Its over liao". Thanks bro. I really hoped that you would forgive me. I really hate to lose good friends whatever the reason might be:) ESPECIALLY a friend as good as you:) And its really hard to find people like you who keep forgiving me so easily:)
Anyways, I was supposed to meet Christina and Amanda to finally see Mona Lisa Smile! I met Amanda at Orchard MRT but Christina couldn't make it because she had CIP. Sighz. I was so afraid that I would feel so paisae and awkward that there would only be silence. But I guess she was nice enough to start the conversation. Thank you! And besides, she agreed to meet us even though she was sick. Alamak. Honestly, I felt kind of bad about it. But thank you for coming yet again:) Anyways, we finally went to watch Mona Lisa Smile at Plaza Singapura.
About Mona Lisa Smile. Honestly again, I felt kind of lost regarding the plot. The names of the characters were complicated and were mentioned only a few times during the show. So, I had to identify them by their looks (which was kind of hard considering they all looked silmilar after a while). But I guess, the show had its really nice moments too (especially to me). Julia Roberts was great acting as a teacher (despite what you damn critics say).
I guess in the end, it was about a teacher coming to this top school fighting against a system that was rigid (tradition). She wanted to send a message to her students that they should be what they want to be. Not what others (society) think they should be (housewives). I thought it also reflected very well on the education system of the past and today (since I guess teaching methods haven't changed much). For example, the students memorised and learned the syllabus by heart making Julia Robert's life difficult as they could identify every art slide shown to them and criticise it textbook style. The main problem behind this was of course, the students do not learn for themselves why the subject was criticised in such a way. In short, they lose their analytical skills and lose sight of the very basis of education. To understand. The show also highlighted the fact that in the past, a woman's social status in society was measured by the husband she married. Apparently, one of the lead characters (Kirsten Dunst) writes the editorial of the school paper. Her husband was apparently some big shot and once she wrote something bad about the school nurse, the nurse was promptly dismissed. Even the nurse agreed saying that in the past, it would merely have been a "slap on my wrist". And as to why Julia Roberts was a great teacher? She defied the system when no one dared. She gave her students confidence they never had (applying to go to Yale law for one student). She taught them the true meaning of education (the students finally started in depth discussions about why mona lisa was such a great art piece). And last, she gave her students courage to go against society. To be who they want to be. To follow the role they want to play not the role society expects of them (housewives). Examples would include Kirsten Dunst and the other girl who decided to settle down despite being accepted into Yale. So finally, I guess the show wasn't all that bad. In fact, I find it quite nice.
After the show, I went to Bugis to find Plaza Hotel which according to my mom was besides Gateway and along beach road. I tried to find it. But I failed (did i forget to mention my sense of direction is 0?). SO I took a cab down to Plaza Hotel. And it was a cheapskate place k? I couldn't find it because the building had this ASEAN logo on the top of the building and so I thought that it was a government building. Only when the taxi drove closer did I see the Plaza Hotel Singapore at the lobby. What a RIPOFF!
Sunday, January 11, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment