Monday, November 16, 2009

Completely Ramdom Thoughts

See its 7am and I slept on the couch last night. The first of many I expect in the coming week as I prepare for my exams. So I slept at 2am while reading accounting theory papers and woke up at 5am - something about my pillow smelling too clean. I gotta change that.

UK Top 40 vs Yes933 Top 20:
Yeah its unfair to compare organges to durian. Except when one provides me with endless pain and the other immediately wins by default. Last time I checked, Chinese songs looked like China - the new and the fresh. Now, I'm sampling track 17 of 20 courtesy of YouTube and my ears hurt from all the screeching boring ballads. Worse, almost all the songs sound the same. Is it me or have the song writers went on strike? The UK Top 40 in comparison features such a wide variety of music that it impresses even a non-believer like me. It just brings me to believe in Capitalism and Competition being the great drivers of human improvement.

Most Relavant Accounting Module:
Accounting Theory will change the way you look at the world forever. I bought a sex toy for $10 and sold it to an indian for $20. $10 profits? Really? What if I told you that the inflation was 10%? What if I told you that Purchasing Price Index (PPI) moved 10%? What if I told you that the cost price of the sex toy is now $15? Now, did you REALLY make $10? :)

The Heisenberg (Uncertainty) Principle:
States that you cannot measure both the position and momentum of a particle with certainty. Net income is a 'momemtun' or time concept while net assets is a 'position' or space concept. Now, there are more than 4 ways to measure the position of the asset. And everytime I measure it, the momentum ie net income changes. And everytime I try to measure my net income, I have to recalculate the sum of all the accounts making up net income. The more accurately I want to measure net income the more the individual components such as revenue changes (think inflation, PPI...etc). So the balance sheet and the income statement that every firm produces contains inherent uncertainty. Can you appreciate the problem? Now...when you look at tomorrow's newspaper headlines "3Q results beats analyst forecasts", you laugh at it.

Blogging changes your perspective:
When you want to show the world how entertaining your life is, you begin to notice details. Little nitty gritty details that always passes you by without warranting a second glance. That BIG mole on a woman's face. The scene of a car crash. How absurb Obama looks wearing our APEC costume. Yes. Your life gets more interesting when you try and find interesting stuff to write about. Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy.

No comments: