Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Haven't posted for nearly a month although it seems like just a few days to me. Time to shake off all the rust that has no doubt accumulated ever since I stopped writing. So what has been happening in my life so far? Well....basically...nothing much. Lets see. All I have been doing recently is downloading anime 24/7 and I must say that the list of animes that I have is increasingly steadily. 100 Gig of free space became 30 Gig of free space last time I checked. Now I wonder what ate up the other 70 Gig...*grinzzz*

Anime aside, I think that my social interaction skills are beginning to hit an all time low. Thats right. In the past when I did my first desk duty. I was kind of friendly to everyone who visited the guardroom to change their passes. Today, I barely even manage a meagre "Good morning" and "Thank you". That aside, I am beginning to question my eagerness to meet new people. Whenever I see my other friends who stands at the gate doing their duty, I notice that they are friendly to everyone. Strangers, friends and females. "It helps pass the time faster" and "Its interesting to meet new people everyday" are the most common responses I have had when I ask them why they say hi to just about everyone who walks into camp. Sadly, these days I am barely even managing a smile. I simply check their passes like I am supposed to and send them on their way. Whats wrong with me? I'm like so going to die in SMU if I keep it up like this considering that most people there interact very well.

Albert Nyan: "You think what? Nobody is perfect. As long as you have a good heart its ok. Just be yourself"

20 lessons into my driving and I'm wondering whether the amount spent ($64 x 20 = $1280) justifies the progress (or lack of) I've made. Back when I first started, whenever I tried moving the car from rest, it would jerk and struggle in desperation as if it were in a spasm. The reason, too much acceleration and insufficient clutch release. 5 lessons later, i thought of an ingenius way to combat the problem. Gun down the accelerator pedal and then release the clutch gradually. The problem? The car now thinks its superman and flies forward. Not good. There are obvious safety issues especially when negotiating a bend and you have to keep a look out for pedestrians. 12 lessons, a scolding, a lecture and a very frustrated driver later, I came up with the play it slow and steady technique. Slowly release the clutch pedal until the car started to move before gunning down the accelerator. The problem? The car often started too slowly and vibrates too much and when the accelerator is depressed, jerks suddenly before moving off. The problem? I am always horned at and EVERY instructor wears his safety belt after that. And now, 20 lessons later, I still haven't found that 'sweet spot'. The spot where your clutch is released halfway and your accelerator is depressed slightly making the car start off very very smoothly. 5th October. My traffic police test. I really do hope I pass even if it means putting an additional road hazard out there :P And even if I do pass, I have already decided that I will not be doing much driving lest I jeopardise my life and my father's car. Hey..its always better to be the driven than the driver right?


No comments: