The original intention was to write about a book which I had finally managed to obtain. Despite being an international bestseller for years now, it was somehow surprising that I have only recently come to learn about it through some of my friend's recommendations. Maybe you have heard of the book..maybe you haven't. The book I am referring to is The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.
But today, I no longer have the intention of talking about some book. I had no idea how it all began. Simply put, I forgot. But I only knew that it happened around the time when we went to Swensen's for dessert after out dinner. The waitress who served us was kind enough but I became irritated because they didn't have the various flavours of ice cream which I wanted and because the ice cream was sort of semi melted due to an improperly closed freezer. My father was obviously displeased with my attitude towards the waitress. And I guess it all began. His scolding that is, just in case you were wondering. Anyway, there were a few thing that he wanted me to know.
1. I was not matured at all. And it must change and soon.
2. Think before I talk.
3. Learn to appreciate things that I have and not take things for granted.
4. To improve on my manners
Well. Truth is..my father said that when I was young I accepted everything he said. Now, I weighed and measured everything he said. I guess it was something that troubled him greatly since there was a possibility that I would reject his words as rubbish and purpose of him reprimanding me would be wasted. But Yes. He is right. My manners had deproved greatly. As did my respect for elders. In the past, I did not dare to speak ill of my elders. Especially those within my family. But recently, I have been voicing my discontent with some of them. And yes. In truth, I am in no position to say anything of them. They are my elders after all. Besides that, I realised that I have been increasingly rude in recent weeks. I talk back to my mother. I show displeasure and impatience when things do not go my way. I become frustrated easily and my attitude has been for the worse. Even in camp where I used to be known as a polite person, I find myself becoming less polite towards camp visitors.
Besides that, it is also true that I do take alot of things for granted. Like how my father sends me to camp everyday. Like how I can appreciate Swensen's ice cream when other people have to settle for those roadside ice cream. Like how i can have braces and my teeth fillings done up. Like how I get to have a new computer. Yeap. Alot of things which I took for granted. And it was especially shocking to me how I failed to realise that earlier and now after reading the New Paper which showed some people in poverty do I realise that I have been taking hings for granted for a very very very long time. I guess that was the reason why my father was angry with me for showing displeasure towards the waitress at Swensen's. I failed to appreciate the fact that I was priviledged enough to eat at Swensen's.
And he was right again when he said that I am immature. Its true. Many things in life I do not understand yet act like I understand. The service industry. The army. The job market. Without any relavent experience in these fields, who was I to make sweeping statements regarding these topics. I wouldn't know how hard my parents have to work or suffer in office so that they can continue to bring me to Swensens. But at the least, I could at least show graitude and respect instead of being rude and rebellious. Who am I to complain that my army life is boring. Compared to 90% of other NS men, I am considered to be extremely fortunate. Who else can go back everyday? Who else has a recall manning that lasts only 6 hours? Who else has a job that involves doing light duty everyday?
And finally, I must understand that I must think for myself. Its true that some of my friends have more money to spend. Its also true that some of my friends have lesser money to spend. I should understand their situations. I should. And I must understand mine as well. More so of mine.
Sunday, August 15, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment