Friday, October 07, 2005

I never really imagined that funerals could be so 'contradictory' in their nature. Well. Maybe at least in my family at least. Funerals are meant to moune the dead and wish them well in their afterlife or at least us buddhists believe anyways. The word 'mourn' itself suggest sadness and grieve. However, ours was to be a 'happy' occasion because well, my grandfather ended his suffering on eartha dn would be going to a better place. So, no tears. At least that was the brave front everyone put up. Then there were the 'superstitious' signs being put up. The red paper covering the TV (no enjoyment) the paper coving the altar (not so sure what this meant). And finally before being cremated, we were told to 'cry' loudly so as to wish him well on his journey to the afterlife or something. This was the part I particularly disliked about the ritual. Most of the small kids and the direct offspring of the decreased would start to cry. For real. And cry hard too. No offense but you could really feel the sorrow and grief in the air. But it could be just me. I have this really weak spot for people who cry. Especially girls who cry dammit. And I just can't take it when people cry. I know its a really pure emotion but I don't know. Just can't take it.

But anyways, I was just thinking about it and can you imagine how much one funeral like this cost? Let me give you a hint. The total costs, including food and beverages, construction of temporary shelters, buddhist chantings, prayers, 'uniforms', coffin and other miscellaneous items and not forgetting the wreaths that people give us easily costs a 5 figure sum. From my cousin's quotation on the average price of a wreath which is about $150, and given that there are about 30-40 wreaths there, I would say that the total value of all the flowers there is at least $4500. Incredible isn't it? How much money can be made from just one funeral.

And I finished the book "Tuesdays with Morrie". If you haven't read that book, go read it. You'll understand why I think its so good. And speaking of good, I really do wish to share some of the book here but unfortunately, I'm dead beat as I've just reached home from the funeral. Oh well, maybe later:)

No comments: